Click below to view and print my:
- Teaching résumé
- Multimedia résumé
- Letter of recommendation
- Character references
• • •
Private Pilot’s License
Ocala Aviation | August 2006 | Ocala, FL
Design | InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator
Web | WordPress, SEO strategies, Google Drive, Google Sites
Production | Final Cut Express, iMovie, Audacity
Social Media | Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Flickr, Google+, Diigo, Foursquare, SoundCloud, LiveJournal, Tumblr, Instagram
Other | Blackboard, D2L, Microsoft Office, Prezi, Adobe Acrobat Pro
English Composition Instructor
College of Charleston, Charleston, SC
2013 – Present
• Instructed undergraduate composition courses with a focus on new media, popular culture, and academic research.
• Employed an active learning teaching style involving class discussion, group activities, and interactive writing exercises to engage students to participate in a collaborative learning environment.
• Developed syllabi, essay prompts, daily lectures, grading rubrics, engaging classroom activities, and discussion topics.
• Emphasized use of technology throughout all of my courses.
Adjunct Journalism Instructor
Trident Technical College, Charleston, SC
2013 – Present
• Instructed online and face-to-face undergraduate courses in journalism and composition.
• Gained experience in the technical college classroom setting.
English Language Counselor
American Village, Venansault, France
Summers 2014 and 2015
• Taught English to French-speaking students aged 12-17 in English-immersion camp setting.
• Gained experience living and working abroad; successfully navigated cultural norms to effectively communicate with students and others even in the presence of language barriers.
Adjunct English Instructor
Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA
2012 – 2013
• Instructed undergraduate English courses in literature, first and second year composition, and technical writing.
• Integrated technology through use of electronic portfolios and grading using Google Sites, Google Docs, and Blackboard.
Website Content Manager
Teen AIDS PeerCorps, Norfolk, VA
2012 – 2013
• Organized, created, and uploaded website content for non-profit organization including written and multimedia components.
• Created new WordPress theme and organized content to display information in a more visually-appealing manner.
• Assisted in dissemination of information about AIDS to teens and other interested parties via e-mail and in-person.
• Gained experience with HTML, WordPress theme building, SEO strategies, and special event promotion and online registration.
Newport News Public Schools, Newport News, VA
2008 – 2013
• Instructed students in grades Pre-K through 8th in grammar, social studies, math, literature, art, library services and other subjects.
• Instructed and assisted in special needs classrooms including hearing impaired, autistic, learning disabled, emotionally disabled, and developmentally disabled classrooms.
• Maintained a composed classroom environment through an open yet rigorous teaching style.
Assistant News Editor/Senior Staff Writer
Mace & Crown, Norfolk, VA
2010 – 2011
• Published weekly news articles and editorials pertaining to local and university events for campus newspaper.
• Conducted interviews for articles via e-mail, telephone, and in-person.
• Edited news articles electronically per AP Style guidelines.
• Prepared and disseminated weekly story ideas to staff writers.
• Initiated and organized online polling information featured on the newspaper’s website.
• Took photographs using Canon Rebel T3 Digital SLR.
Family home, Norfolk, VA
2010 – 2011
• Assisted high school girl with learning disability to complete assigned work in English, science, and history.
• Employed various teaching techniques to help developmentally-challenged student successfully accomplish her homework and study for exams.
• Recommended for position by previous journalism professor.
RELEVANT COURSES TAKEN
- Writing in Digital Spaces
- New Media Theory and Practice I
- Introduction to Journalism and News Writing
- Daily Journalism in New Media
- Backpack Journalism
- Feature Story Writing
- Media Law and Ethics
- Teaching Writing with Technology
- Teaching College Composition
- Classical Rhetoric
- Writing Internship
- Two Dimensional Design
- Digital Photography
Bright Future’s Scholar | May 2006
The state of Florida offers scholarships to high school graduates who meet certain criteria including GPA, SAT scores, and community service. I was awarded the highest level, a scholarship that paid 100% of my tuition, fees, and books to attend any public college or university in the state of Florida.
Private pilot’s license | August 2006
When I was 18 years old I won a scholarship to complete training to receive a private pilot’s license from Ocala Aviation by writing an essay about why I wanted to earn my wings. Although I do not fly anymore, the process was daunting and taught me much about perseverance. Throughout my journey a journalist kept notes on my progress.
First Generation Matching Grant Program | January 2007
I was awarded this grant because I was (and still am) the first person in my family to attend college.
header photo credit